What's all the hype about anyway? Do I really need to pay the extra $$$ for an iPhone . . . AGAIN!? Should I wait for the next iPhone? Or is it time to jump ship?
If you're like me, money is not growing on any of the trees in your backyard. In fact, we chopped down that tree last winter just to stay warm. And yet here comes Apple with another smart phone for me to purchase. After a lot of scrutiny we (my hubby and I) decided to make the leap.
I've had the phone for two months and thought writing a product review might be helpful. As always, my perspective is from someone who works full-time creating custom videos. Here's a list of things I have learned about my new phone - specifically the camera.
- The lens is much better allowing 50% more light into the camera. Translation? You simply get better images in low-light environments.
- Lots of touch screen options. It's true! Just touch the screen wherever you want your focus point to be and BAM! there it is! Pretty sweet! Another touch screen option I am becoming addicted to is the Auto Focus (AF) and Auto Exposure (AE) option. Again, touch the screen where you want the auto focus to appear, but hold it. You will see some verbiage appear indicating you have locked in your AF/AE for this image. You can then slide your finger up or down to brighten or darken the image. It's the equivalent of adjusting your f-stop on your DSLR. Pretty cool stuff.
- Crazy cool stabilization. If you don't know what this is, you probably don't take images or videos. Basically, this takes the shakes out of your video and the blurs due to shaking out of your images. If you're pretty steady and fairly creative, you can make the iPhone look like it is operated on a jib/crane system. Really cool!
- Can we say "portrait" mode, boys and girls? Oh yeah. It's ALL about the portrait mode. It was the first thing I tried out when they put that slender bad boy in my hot little hand. It makes the most inexperienced photographer look like a pro! If you've ever been mesmerized by "depth of field" but couldn't figure out how to make it happen - you're in luck. Just slide the camera into portrait mode, touch your screen to set the focal point and WHALA! Instantly your focus is spot on and everything in the back ground is out of focus.
- Dual lens heaven. The iPhone 7+ has two lens. Now I can have my telephoto with my wide angle too. Thank you very much.
- Totally 4k ready. As you probably already have heard, 4k is the new standard. No need to feel out dated. The iPhone 7+ comes with 4k. Keep in mind storage could be an issue, so make sure you get the right size when/if you make your purchase.
Will this replace your DSLR? Nope. Is it more than enough in most cases? Yup.
I create promotional videos all day, every day, and yes, the iPhone 7+ is one of my go-to cameras. It's not my primary camera, it's my b-roll camera, for sure. You'd have to look really close to know when I used the iPhone verses my top-of-the line DSLR.
Is it worth the cost? For me, yes. But I admit, I love all things Apple. Is it the right phone/camera for you? If you can stomach the cost, I honestly can't imagine you being disappointed.
As always, I'd love to hear what you think!